ASfAR Conference 2018
The Australasian Society for Autism Research (ASfAR) Conference was held at Griffith University, Gold Coast, on 6 & 7 December 2018.
2018 Conference flyer (pdf)
Gold Coast is a tourism hub with a wide array of accommodation from budget to luxury located in close proximity to Griffith University. Excellent public transport (buses and light rail) are available and link the campus to Surfers Paradise, which is located 15 minutes away by car. Below is a list of examples of accommodation located within 15-20 minutes transit of campus.
Delegates can also visit the Gold Coast Tourism website a wide range of accommodation options (https://www.destinationgoldcoast.com/where-to-stay/hotels)
– Griffith University Village: offers a range of accommodation options from single rooms within an apartment from $65 per night; double rooms $90 per night; or five bedroom apartments at $270 per night. This would offer an affordable option for students/scholars and is a 10 minute walk from the proposed venues. Limited wheelchair access.
– Aquarius Backpacker’s Gold Coast (3 star): from $85/night (mixed dormitories) – 15 minutes from Griffith University via light rail (operating every 5 minutes). Limited wheelchair accessibility
– Woodroffe Hotel Southport: from $99 per night – 10 minute light rail (operates every 15 minutes). No wheelchair accessibility in rooms. Website: https://woodroffehotel.com.au/
– Mantra at Sharks: from $124 per night – 8 minute walk to Griffith University, Gold Coast University Hospital, and light rail. Full wheelchair accessibility to hotel and rooms.
– Meriton Suites Southport: from $125 per night – 13 minute light rail (operates every 15 minute). Wheelchair ramp access to hotel. Larger room recommended.
– Meriton Suites Broadbeach (1,2,3 Bedroom Apartments): from $185 per night – 30 minute light rail (operates every 7.5minutes). Wheelchair ramp access to hotel. Studio suite recommended for full accessibility.
– Mantra on View Surfers Paradise: from $134 per night – 19 minute light rail (operates every 15 minutes). Wheelchair ramp access to hotel. Limited availability of rooms with full accessibility (enquire with reservations).
– Novotel Surfers Paradise: from $155 per night – 21 minute light rail (operates every 15 minutes). Wheelchair ramp access to hotel. Two fully accessible rooms (pending availability).
– Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort and Spa: from $264 per night – 18 minute light rail (operates every 15 minutes). Wheelchair ramp access to hotel. Two fully accessible rooms (pending availability).
– Hilton Surfers Paradise (1,2,3 Bedroom Apartments): from $219 per night – 21 minute light rail (operates every 15 minutes). Wheelchair ramp access to hotel. Four fully accessible rooms (pending availability).
The Gold Coast is serviced by trains/trams, buses, taxis and ferries, along with plenty of self-drive options. Surfers Paradise is a short 15-minute drive from the Griffith University campus assessible affordably via the following:
Light rail (trams) – see https://ridetheg.com.au/ for information regarding fares, planning your journey, station locations and more. All stations are accessible via ramps to provide improved access for passengers using mobility aids (wheelchairs, scooters or motorised vehicles).
Buses – see https://translink.com.au/gold-coast for information regarding fares, planning your journey and more
Uber – see https://www.uber.com/en-AU/cities/gold-coast/: fares approximately ranging from uberX: A$13-18; uberXL: A$20-27; uberSELECT: A$23-31; or uberASSIST: A$13-18 (pending travel distance)
Taxi – see https://www.gccabs.com.au/: fares approximately ranging from $23.15-$32.41 (pending travel distance)